Ms Sim Ann, Senior Minister of State (SMS) Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and Ministry of National Development, attended the 8th Bali Process Ministerial Conference on People Smuggling, Trafficking in Persons, and Related Transnational Crime in Adelaide, Australia from 9th to 10th February 2023
The Senior Minister of State was in Adelaide, Australia for the eighth Ministerial Conference of the Bali Process on People Smuggling, Trafficking in Persons, and Related Transnational Crime. She was accompanied by officials from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
The Bali Process was established at the Regional Ministerial Conference on People Smuggling, Trafficking in Persons, and Related Transnational Crime to address practical concerns regarding smuggling, trafficking, and related transnational crime. The objectives for the Bali Process include:
- Improved information and intelligence sharing
- Improved regional law enforcement collaboration to deter and combat people smuggling and trafficking networks
- Increased public awareness to discourage such activities and warn those who are vulnerable
- Adoption of national legislation to criminalize people smuggling and human trafficking
- Protection and assistance to victims of human trafficking, especially women and children
- Aiding countries in implementing best practices in asylum management.
At the Ministerial Conference, SMS Sim will make a statement expressing Singapore’s commitment to combating people smuggling and human trafficking.