Qatar’s Prime Minister’s visit to Singapore results in strengthened bilateral ties through discussions, ceremonial honors, and the signing of five Memoranda of Understanding.
His Excellency Sheikh Mohammed Bin Abdulrahman Bin Jassim Al Thani, the Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs of the State of Qatar, concluded his official visit to Singapore from August 23 to 25, 2023. The visit aimed to foster stronger ties and explore avenues for collaboration between the two nations.
The Istana hosted a ceremonial welcome for Prime Minister Al Thani on the morning of August 24. During his stay, he held separate meetings with Singaporean President Halimah Yacob and Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong, focusing on bolstering the existing relations between Qatar and Singapore.
As a symbolic gesture of goodwill, a new orchid hybrid, named the Dendrobium Mohammed Bin Abdulrahman Al-Thani, was introduced in honor of Prime Minister Al Thani, signifying the friendly relations between the two countries.
Discussions between President Halimah and Prime Minister Al Thani touched upon areas of bilateral cooperation, including food security and innovation. This visit followed President Halimah’s own state visit to Qatar in June 2023, which laid the groundwork for further collaboration.
Prime Minister Lee and Prime Minister Al Thani engaged in productive discussions aimed at strengthening cooperation in key sectors such as energy, trade, investment, and counter-radicalization. Recognizing their shared challenges as smaller states, both leaders highlighted the value of exchanging experiences. They also emphasized the importance of establishing stronger linkages between Southeast Asia and the Gulf region. Conversations extended to encompass regional and international geopolitical developments, allowing both Prime Ministers to share perspectives.
An important outcome of the visit was the signing of five Memoranda of Understanding (MOUs) between Qatar and Singapore:
- Memorandum of Understanding in the Fields of Social Development and the Family: The Ministry of Social Development and the Family of the State of Qatar and the Ministry of Social and Family Development of the Republic of Singapore agreed to foster collaboration in social development and family support.
- First Executive Programme on Education: The Ministry of Education of Singapore and the Ministry of Education and Higher Education of the State of Qatar initiated a program aimed at advancing educational exchanges and initiatives in both countries.
- Memorandum of Understanding on Water-related Research: Singapore’s National Water Agency, PUB, and the Qatar Research Development and Innovation Council committed to collaborative efforts in addressing water-related challenges, including participation in the Singapore International Water Week.
- Memorandum of Understanding on Enterprise Digitalization and Innovation: Enterprise Singapore and the Qatar Development Bank joined hands to encourage enterprise digitalization and innovation, promoting economic growth and competitiveness.
- Memorandum of Understanding on Commercial Partnerships: Enterprise Singapore and the Investment Promotion Agency of Qatar established the foundation for enhancing private sector partnerships and business collaborations.